Tuesday, May 24, 2016

The Things We Carry

The summer before my junior year of high school I was required to read two books; "Walden" by Henry David Thoreau and my choice from a specified list, which I selected "The Things They Carried" by Tim O'Brian. I will admit to not always finishing or often skimming my required readings, but when reading "The Things They Carried" I found myself wholly enthralled by its stories and sentiment, and proceeded to read it cover to cover. To this day that book has remained one of my favorites (at least in my top 5), and has been ringing a certain relevance as of late in preparation for Camino. 
In brief the book is about Tim O'Brien and his time in the Vietnam War as well as his fellow platoon members. He tells of items that the soldiers would have in their possession, whether they were mandated military supplies or things from home that were enveloped in sentimental value prior to the war. While not in a theater of war packing for this trip and the things that we carry are all significant in one form or another to our physical, mental, and spiritual continuance. That being said here are the things we are starting off with to carry, they are likely to change and evolve along the way, but that's all part of the process. (There are some shout outs in here so be sure to read the list carefully)

Clothing Items:
-Zip pants that can be converted into shorts on cool morning into hot days
-Regular quick dry REI shorts for when it's just too hot
-Relaxing loose light weight pants from Target for when I don't want to be anywhere near any hiking gear
- Tank top so perfectly picked out by my 12 year old cousin Cecilia 
-Merino wool t-shirt to whisk away the sweat or even keep me warmer, weather depending
-A fabulous Athleta long sleeve running shirt, provided my my good friend Lauren last Christmas
-3 pairs of Darn Tough Socks
-5 pairs of underwear
-2 sports bras
-1 wide rimmed hat with a SPF coverage of 50 (which I'm sort of seriously in love with)
-my ever trusty North Face fleece jacket
-cheap poncho
-Salomon trail shoes
-Chaco sandals (because duh) 
-regular flip flops
-wide headband to triple as headband, ear warmer and eye mask 
-Gloves
Toiletries:
-Travel size shampoo, conditioner, body wash, lotion, deodorant (vital), contact solution and hair brush
-Glasses
-Vaseline
-Shami towel
-Chap stick
-First Aid kit
-Water iodine tablets
-Sunscreen
-Tweezers and nail clippers
-Safety pins
-Sewing kit
Random Essentials:
-Gerber pocket knife lovingly given by my father
-One right handed walking pole greatfully lent by my step mother Melissa
-Chargers; international, phone/Kindle, camera, and portable (x2)
-Kindle (mainly for the planes and trains)
-Camera with 2SD cards
-Phone
-Sleeping bag liner sprayed with bed bug spray
-Whistle provided by my mindful Aunt Judy and Uncle Rick
-Camino book
-Head lamp
-Oakley sunglasses customized by my father and stepmother
Sentimental Items:
-Journal provided by my ever insistent mother
-Double sided picture of my good friends Brittany and Cassie and I
-Rosary I received at conformation that was customized by my mother and aunt 
-Cross necklace; Cross from my mother, chain from my grandmother
-Rock from Seattle to drop at the infamous cross (would have preferred from Colorado but Seattle will have to do) 
-Camino passport
-Scallop shell

Note: me being me organized the hell out of all of these items. And I am very proud, just thought I would throw that one out there.


3 comments:

  1. The list looks pretty good! As I type this you are winging your way over the Atlantic. In all your preparation just remember to allow yourself to be open to the surprises the Lord has in store...there will be quite a few. One other thing, watch for the guardian angels (yours and others) along the way!

    God's Blessings and Buen Camino!

    Kevin, Kathleen, and Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. And thus the adventure begins. Make sure you do things you can tell your grandchildren about... memories that will last you a lifetime. ZZ

    ReplyDelete